Monday, December 16, 2013

My Favorite Books Read in 2013

This was a huge reading year for me. 2013 was the year I:
* Started this blog
* Joined Goodreads
* Participated in reading challenges
* Completed 4 reading challenges (TBR, Eclectic, Stand Alone, A-Z)
* Read more books than ever before (155 books)

It was really hard to choose, but here are my favorite books that I read in 2013. They are not ordered by rank, but by date completed:


Graceling by Kristin Cashore (read 1.1.2013) A fantasy with great world-building and a female protagonist who kicks some major butt and discovers a dark secret.

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi (read 3.9.2013) Breathtaking science fiction with gorgeous artwork. Eva Nine has been raised by a robot in an underground Sanctuary. She is convinced that other humans are out there... if she can just get out of the sanctuary and explore the planet.

Outcast by Michelle Paver (read 3.25.2013) The fourth book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. Set in an ancient fantasy world, this series is in my top 5 favorites, and Outcast is my favorite of the set. In it, the main character suffers "soul sickness" and slowly loses his identity thanks to the work of an evil sorceress.

Sabriel by Garth Nix (read 4.2.2013) I read all 3 published books in this series this year, and WOW. Sabriel is a powerful necromancer who must rescue her father from Death and keep the evil Free Magic creatures from creeping back into the world. Garth Nix writes this world so that it is both beautiful and eerie. And the female protagonist is powerful and worth believing in.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Saenz (read 7.30.2013) Ari likes to be alone, lift weights, and think. Dante likes to swim, read poetry, and draw. Both fifteen year old boys worry that they aren't "Mexican" enough. Neither has ever had a real friend. And then they found each other. A seriously powerful read.


The Shamer's War by Lene Kaaberbol (read 8.26.2013) I discovered and completed this series in 2013. The first book was The Shamer's Daughter and it was good... but this final installment was awesome. I can't really explain why. Over the course of 4 books I came to really care for these characters and this terrific world.

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (read 10.8.2013) A teen romance is SO out of my comfort zone, but this book was totally captivating. I adored both Eleanor and Park with their quirky, outcast, identity and family issues. I talked about this book for days.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (10.22.2013) I read the Twilight books. Meh. Maybe I don't like vampire books? Then last year I read Octavia Butler's Fledgling which showed me that vampire novels can be wonderful. This year Coldest Girl in Coldtown topped all other vampire novels. It felt real and scary. This is how I imagine things would really be with vampires around.

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (11.24.2013) It's hard to believe that I had never read this book! The Tale of Despereaux is now my favorite DiCamillo book. I just loved the author's voice and the colorful characters. So fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment