Friday, April 11, 2014

J is for Jack Templar

I discovered this series by reading Jeff Gunhus's wonderful Nerdy Book Club post, Reaching the Reluctant Reader - One Dad's Journey. In the post he describes how he and his sons came to write this book together (sort of). My curiosity was piqued.

These books are really action-packed. They are perfect for fans of the Percy Jackson books since they are full of quests and monster battling. The plots are a bit more straightforward since there aren't all those pesky gods to confuse you, but they are also much much darker.

I love these books because:
* They are exciting
* My students love them
* They aren't overly complex
* One of the main characters, Eva, is a girl who kicks major butt
* One of the secondary characters, Xavier, fights creatures through math, science, and technology. Xavier reminds us that smart people can be awesome too.

Book 4: Still in the works

These are independently published books, but you can get them through all the major book retailers.
This post is part of the A to Z Challenge.




3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these books but they sound great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a newly retired librarian who just returned from 3 days at our Texas Library Association Conference in San Antonio. Darn, I should have read your post this morning - this series looks great! I spread the word (or I might be the last to know about them) I just scanned your A to Z Blog posts - love them.

    Sue Kuentz
    http://www.door2lore.com/3/post/2014/04/jacks-jump-ropes-and-journals.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These books aren't well known yet because they are self-published. Spread the word, though, because since they don't have the backing of a major publisher, lots of teacher/librarians/readers don't know about them.

      Delete