Sunday, June 1, 2014

Summer Reading Challenge

How did I miss this challenge???

Megan at Semi-Charmed Kind of Life is hosting a Summer Reading Challenge from May 1 - Aug 31. The challenge is to read a book in as many categories as possible. You can see all the categories and available points (and join the challenge) at Semi-Charmed Kind of Life.


So, here's my progress for Month 1 - books read between May 1 and May 31.

5 Points - Freebie - Read any book that is at least 200 pages long
Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier (381 pages)
Somehow both whimsical and scary at the same time. I loved this creative, wonderfully imagined story with a broad cast of rich characters. Jonathan Auxier is a super-talented writer and this one may become a modern classic. 5 out of 5 stars!

10 Points - Read a book that was written before you were born
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum (My Review)
I actually listened to it as an audiobook and reviewed it for the Classics Club. The page length varies by edition, but many are over 200 pages long. 4 out of 5 stars!

10 Points - Read a book from the children's section
The Battle for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi (480 pages)
This conclusion to an outstanding trilogy was perfectly satisfying. Exciting, emotional, creative, and poignant, The Battle for WondLa did everything I have come to expect from the series, and then some. 5 out of 5 stars!

15 Points - Read a book that is on the NYT Best Sellers List
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (240 pages ~ My Review)
Conflicted feelings about this one... 3 out of 5 stars

30 Points - Read a pair of books with antonyms in the titles
The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle by Christopher Healy (436 pages)
Funny, creative, exciting, and engaging. 5 out of 5 stars!
and
V is for Villain by Peter Moore (336 pages ~ My Review) 3.5 out of 5 stars

Total points so far: 70 points

The other categories will be challenging. I prefer a reading challenge that actually challenges me, though. So count me in!



No comments:

Post a Comment