Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Classics Review: A Wrinkle in Time

Premise: The Murry children haven't seen their father, a physist, in years. Then Meg and Charles Wallace Murry, along with their friend Calvin, meet a strange old woman named Mrs. Who. Soon they are swept up in an adventure across time and space to save their father, and also the entire world, from a terrible evil.

Title: A Wrinkle in Time
Author: Madeleine L'Engle
Length: 241 pages
Genre: Science Fiction
Series or Stand Alone: Book 1 in the Time Quintet
Content appropriate for: Grades 6-12
Format: Audiobook from the digital public library

Three adjectives that describe this book: complex, captivating, nerdy

This science fiction classic was really cool. The good versus evil theme is explored across the universe, the alien planets are interesting, and the protagonists are complete and well developed. Charles Wallace made a brilliant 5 year old! I also appreciated the terrifying mind control employed by the book's antagonist. Once the group gets to the planet of Camazotz things get very very creepy - like Pleasantville, but way worse.

I listened to the audiobook and the narrator (Hope Davis) did a terrific job. The voices of the Mrs. Ws were especially great.

I was a little weirded out by the random God references, though. They were forced and overly preachy. Hence the 4 stars instead of 5.


This review is part of my Classics Club challenge. It also qualifies for the TBR Pile Challenge, Audiobook Challenge, and the I Love Library Books Challenge.



2 comments:

  1. I read this as a child and thoroughly enjoyed it....but remember absolutely nothing about it - your review didn't help to spark any memories either! I guess I will just have to reread it at some point :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry my review didn't spark any memories for you - I try to keep all my reviews spoiler-free =) It's definitely worth a reread. I bet you would get something different out of it now than when you were a child.

      Delete