Saturday, November 22, 2014

The 7 Deadly Sins Book Tag

The fabulous folks over at The Book Chewers have piqued my interest with an interesting tag:

1. Greed  What's your most inexpensive book? What's your most expensive book?

Our central library branch does a semi-annual sale where you can fill a cardboard box with books for $2.00 per box. At the last sale, I had 15 books in the box so that works out to about 13 cents per book.

I don't buy many full price books. In the past year, the most expensive book I have purchased is Cress by Marissa Meyer. I pre-ordered it before its spring release.
Very excited about two books received on the same day
2. Wrath  What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?

The first author that comes to mind is Suzanne Collins. I love her work, especially the Underland Chronicles series. Her books say so much more than what's on the page. And she crafts fabulously complex worlds and characters.

I hate the way she ends series, though. I didn't like the ending of either The Underland Chronicles or The Hunger Games. They were too sudden and not fulfilling. Also, Suzanne Collins kills characters that I love. MURDERER!

3. Gluttony  What book have you devoured over and over again with no shame?

This one is easy. I re-read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery every year. It's kind of amazing.

4. Sloth  What book have you neglected due to laziness?

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot has been sitting on my TBR shelf for ages. It comes highly recommended from several reader-friends AND NPR loves it. I keep resisting because NPR did so many stories about it that I feel kind of overwhelmed. But that was ages ago and I'm sure it's fascinating, so I should just suck it up and read it.

5. Pride  What book do you talk about most in order to sound like an intellectual reader?

I seem to reference The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller whenever I'm talking with other teachers about reading instruction. I don't know if it's to sound smart, or because I'm not confident enough in my own opinions.

6. Lust  What attributes do you find most attractive in characters?

This question was originally about male characters, but why do we have to be so gendered? I find independence attractive. And common sense - nothing irritates me more than characters who say, "I know I shouldn't go in that abandoned house, but I'm gonna go anyway." And wit. I love witty characters who can laugh about their faults.

I like characters who stand up for themselves, but aren't arrogant. Most attractive protagonist goes to Katsa from Graceling by Kristin Cashore.
7. Envy  What book would you most like to receive as a gift?

Well I have been working on my Christmas list! It may be cheating, but I'm going to answer this question with 2 box sets: Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. I love both series, and so do my students. However, my copies are falling apart AND they both have beautiful new covers. Drooling over the new covers!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment